Here is a list of the questions that are the most common to students looking to Study TEFL. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact our friendly TEFL team.

General FAQs

Do I need knowledge of other languages?

There is no need to speak any language other than English while teaching in the classroom.

Will I gain employment after I complete my course? Does UniTEFL help with this?

The job market in Thailand, Asia and many places in the world is still excellent.  The UniTEFL program has a Job Coordinator to assist you by taking advantage of UniTEFL’s vast network of contacts with national and international educational institutions.

When is the best time to do a course?
Positions for TEFL teachers in Thailand are available throughout the year.  Government run schools regularly hire for year long contracts 3 times a year. May/June   September/October and February/March.   In addition, many of these year long government contractual positions open mid-year due to unforeseen circumstances.  Private language schools and institutes generally hire mid-semester as this is the time most students choose to do additional studies.   International programs on the other hand will follow the western school calendar beginning in August/September for the first semester, January for the second and June/July for the summer programs.  In addition, many other countries follow slightly different calendars as well.
Is there an age limit?
There is no age limit for the course.
What are the requirements for getting on to the Certificate course?
Anyone is eligible to join the TEFL course.  If you are unsure about your abilities, then please speak to us personally and we will discuss your individual concerns.
Why should I take a UniTEFL course?

The UniTEFL Certification is a four week programme with 120 hours of instruction complete with six, 50 minutes classroom practicum to gain some hands-on experience.  We are accredited by Tefl International which maintains strict monitoring of course content and tutoring for more than 30 locations worldwide.

Our particular course was first developed at one of Thailand’s leading universities in 2004, training more than 1000 teachers to date. Chiang Mai also provides one of the cheapest and most comfortable places in which to study.

Do I have to be a native speaker to enroll in a TEFL course?
You do not need to be a native speaker to enroll in the TEFL course.  Many of our non native speaking graduates have secured jobs in positions ranging from the university level to top tier government schools.  If you would like to have your English speaking skills assessed, we are happy to arrange a phone interview.
Do I have to have a college degree to enroll in a TEFL course?

You don’t need a degree to take our program but you must be capable of degree level education and our courses demand a commitment to your studies. While a degree is not required to teach English, many countries will not grant a work permit if you don’t have one. However, with a TEFL Certificate it is certainly possible to find work without a degree but it is advisable to check a country’s legal requirements in advance of arriving.

Some countries such as Japan and Korea do require you have a degree for visa reasons. There are also many that don’t – like China, Ecuador or Indonesia!  And remember, with your TEFL International certificate you will able to access your LIFE-TIME JOB PLACEMENT assistance in any country where TEFL International has a center!

Is it really necessary to get my TEFL certificate through an accredited institution?

Yes it is. The TEFL industry has no centralised body to recognise certification or monitor standards and is noted for the many TEFL courses on offer that lack legitimacy. While it’s ultimately the course, trainers and instruction that turn you into a good teacher, the certification you get will determine how easily you can find work internationally. TEFL graduates qualified with a certificate from CELTA, TEFL International or Trinity are much more likely to get hired since these organisations have an established international reputation. TEFL courses offered in the name of a local university often carry little weight in the worldwide TEFL industry.

Do I really need a TEFL certificate to teach English abroad?
A TEFL certificate is  the minimum requirement for most positions teaching English abroad.  Sometimes employers will hire without a TEFL, but in most cases this is just a starting point in order to be able to compete with other candidates for teaching positions.
Can I receive university credit or continuing education units (CEUs) for UniTEFL?

Yes! The TEFL International Certificate carries 3 credits towards an MA TESOL at Fort Hays University in the US, and may be transferable. It’s the only known certificate in the world that earns credits towards a degree.

What is the difference between CELTA, TEFL, TESOL?

CELTA, TEFL and TESOL are all acronyms used in teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL). TEFL refers generally to the industry, but is also widely used to describe a standard course qualification (e.g. a TEFL Certificate). TESOL means Teaching English to Students of Other Languages, and is similarly used. CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) on the other hand, is a specific, well established, course monitored by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (UCLES).